Natural remedies to lighten gray (and white) hair
Your gray hair has yellow highlights ? Whether you’re into a natural approach with little or no chemicals, or looking for a shampoo that will fix your problem fast, there’s a wide range to choose from. to remove the yellow tint from gray hair.
NOTE: Many solutions will impart a blue or purple color to help neutralize the yellow in your hair. This is because purple is the complementary color to yellow on the color wheel.
Due to the light color of white and gray hair, yellow discolorations can easily arise from product buildup or even regular hard water washing of hair. Although many commercial shampoos are available to maintain gray hair, they often contain chemicals and artificial ingredients.
However, chemicals can be avoided with a weekly rinse with baking soda and apple cider vinegar. These hair solutions offer a gentle and effective way to tone the hair and remove product residue and mineral deposits.
How to have very gray or white hair without yellow reflections?
A very simple method in 5 essential steps to lighten the hair. When you have tried this recipe, no more commercial chemicals will find favor with you!
- Step 1: Prepare a baking soda paste
Mix 8 tbsp. baking soda and 4 tbsp. of water in the jar until well mixed. The texture should be like a thick paste. Change the proportions if needed. Cover the jar until your first use.
- Step 2: Prepare an Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
Pour 1 cup of apple cider vinegar into a spray bottle. Dilute the vinegar with 1 cup of water. Mix the ingredients by vigorously shaking the bottle for about 10 seconds.
- Step 3: Apply your homemade mixture
Wet your hair completely in the shower. Rub the baking soda paste through your hair, paying particular attention to the scalp. Massage the paste into the hair roots and make sure the entire head is covered. Rinse thoroughly, making sure that no baking soda residue remains.
- Step 4: Saturate your hair with your homemade lotion
Spray the apple cider vinegar mixture all over your hair, making sure the hair is evenly coated. Focus on the strands rather than the roots or scalp. Make sure hair is completely saturated by running your fingers through it or combing it gently with a wide-toothed comb. Rinse thoroughly.
- Step 5: Dry your hair without damaging it
Gently dab your hair with a clean towel. Comb carefully with a wide tooth comb. Allow hair to air dry naturally.
Other natural remedies to lighten gray hair
These homemade solutions for removing yellow coloring from gray hair have proven effective. These products range from common herbal ingredients that you may need to order from the internet.
- Make a tea of purple betony flowers (Stachys officinale) and hot water.
- Steep the tea until you get the purple hue you desire. The more yellow tint your hair has, the darker the tea should be.
- After your shampoo, rinse your hair with this infusion, massaging the hair well. Then rinse the hair well with clean water. Repeat this rinse once a week.
- Prepare a tea with purple hyacinth petals (Alcea) and hot water.
- Steep tea as noted in betony infusion until desired purple color is achieved.
- After shampooing, rinse your hair with the infusion, massaging the hair well. Rinse well with clear water as usual. This process should be repeated weekly.
Here is a violet-dominant shampoo, 100% natural to make at home. The advantage, if you dose it well, is that your hair will sport a neutral gray without yellow highlights. This trick also works for men with a white beard with yellowish highlights.
- First, pour the shampoo you usually use into a bowl. Then add two or three drops of gentian violet (no more, because the product is very pigmented) and mix thoroughly.
- Add an extra drop or two for very yellow hair if needed.
- Once you have achieved the desired purple density, pour the mixture into the shampoo bottle.
- You can use the same trick with your mask, conditioner, or rinse water.
- If purple reflections remain after washing, go back in the shower with normal shampoo.
Where can I find gentian violet?
It is advisable to opt for a 1% aqueous solution of pharmacy. They are sometimes based on alcohol (a very low dose that will not harm the hair) or glycerin. It will depend on the pharmacists. Good news, it’s an inexpensive product that will last you a long time since it takes very little each time you use it! Some people also use purple food coloring as a substitute, but this solution would be less economical.
Read also : The best tricks of grandmothers against gray hair
Why does gray hair turn yellow?
There are several reasons that can cause gray hair to turn yellow. The first comes from internal factors like medications. Another is the environmentas too much sun ortoo chlorinated water orwater that contains too much iron. One of the most common and preventable yellows is yellowing caused by hair products.
If your shampoo or conditioner, for example, has a yellow or golden hue, it can stain as it builds up on your hair, which gives it a yellow appearance. Smoking will also cause your hair to turn yellow.
Gray hair has little or no pigment due to a loss of melanin due to the aging process. Melanin gives your hair and skin its color. Some may be lucky enough to retain their melanin longer than others.
Once you find the root cause of what is causing your gray hair to turn yellow, establishing a schedule to treat your hair will put that yellow discoloration at bay. Erase the word dull of your vocabulary. Gray hair is gorgeous and glamorous !
There you go, you know a little more about how to have beautiful white hair naturally. And you? What are your remedies to lighten gray or white hair? Don’t hesitate to share it with the community 😉